Saturday, March 07, 2009

Thought of the Day.




I came across this story in Chicken Soup for the Soul and wanted to share it with you all. A very good message, one that always bears repeating.


THE STARFISH
(Based on the original, by Loren Eiseley)

A friend of ours was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset. As he walked along, he began to see another man in the distance. As he grew closer, he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up, and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean. As our friend approached even closer, he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water. Our friend was puzzled. He approached the man and said "Good evening, Friend. I was wondering what you are doing."

"I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all of these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up here from lack of oxygen."

"I understand," our friend replied, "but there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You can't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many. And don't you realize it is probably happening on hundreds of other beaches all up and down the coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make a difference?"

The local native smiled, bent down, and picked up yet another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied,
"Made a difference to that one!"


Even the smallest gesture is rewarding to someone. Have a blessed weekend!

Until next time...

4 comments:

cynthia said...

Hi Christy - Thanks fpr your kind comment. Raising my children has been the most challenging job I've had yet. The laughter and hugs I get makes it all worthwhile, though.

I'm inspired by your blog. What a great idea for a family roadtrip ... lighthouse hopping!

Also, like your music list. I sometimes stop in just to have the music play in the background while I'm blogging or facebooking.

Have a great weekend,
Cynthia

Théodore Biscotte said...

Hello! Un petit bonjour de France. Thank you for this very nice thought of the day. I'll translate this tale to my son.I'm sure he'll love it. Have a good weekend you too.

Elaina Weaver said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm not used to getting them there, that is not my normal blog. It is just for my project 365.

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Hi - I have meant to write you. Thank you for your post on my blog. I appreciated your positive thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about your difficult 2 years but am happy you ended up with a beautiful little girl. That gives me hope.

We're hopeful to be blessed with a baby one of these days. I appreciate your encouragement. I love your photography - what beautiful pictures! Take care - Shannon :)